- The islands in Belize are called Cayes (pronounced “keys”) and total around 450 including those on the outer atolls.
- Belizean folklore tells of a 3-foot tall, evil dwarf called El Duende. The thumb less dwarf is said to hang out in the forest and punish any children who kill animals!
- Belize is in the Central Standard Time zone and does not observe daylight saving time.
- Ambergris Caye, which is 25 miles long, is Belize’s largest and most developed island.
- Belize is the only Central American Country where English is the official language. Apart from English, there are many recognized regional languages: Kriol, Spanish, Garifuna, and Mayan.
- The currency of Belize is Belize dollar. Its ISO 3166 code is BZ. Since 1978, the official value is pegged at 2 BZD = 1 US dollar.
- Belize is home to the “Royal Rat” (a rodent called a Gibnut). If you select Gibnut from a menu, you’re about to chow down on a rodent which is a popular game meat in Belize.
- Belize has its own version of the Sasquatch (the legendary, North American gorilla-like creature) known as El Sisimito ? El Sisimito , a creature with no knees and its feet on backwards, purportedly has a penchant for human flesh.
- It is culturally rude to greet someone by their first name when meeting them for the first time in Belize.
Water Taxi San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize to Chetumal Mexico
It’s super easy to get from Mexico to Belize on the San Pedro Express Water Jets taxi. They offer a daily Mexico Belize run between Chetumal and San Pedro.
The boat ride only takes 90 minutes, you can enjoy a movie and travel first class with San Pedro Water Jets Express. On the boat you will be served complimentary water and snack on return trip. Ample leg room, pillows, water bottle holders and fan option.
Pedro’s Hotel can help you book your water taxi trip between San Pedro and Chetumal or you can contact San Pedro Water Jets Express Water Taxi Terminal, Ambergris Caye, Belize C.A. Tel: (501)-226-2194, Email: email@example.com, www.sanpedrowatertaxi.com
The San Pedro Water Jets is located in the Town of San Pedro on the Island of Ambergris Caye next to the soccer field Lagoon Side. The Island is located approximately 35 miles from Belize City on the main land. Their terminal in Chetumal Q. Roo Mexico is located at the “Muelle Fiscal” in the heart of the Chetumal CIty.
San Pedro to Chetumal Mexico water taxi schedule
San Pedro Belize to Chetumal Mexico 8:15am
Chetumal Mexico – San Pedro Belize 3:00pm
One way San Pedro Belize to Chetumal Mexico or vice versa $35 usd Return trip $60 usd. Arrive at terminal 1/2h prior to departure to check in and go through immigration.
If you are traveling from Mexico to San Pedro and have been in Mexico for more than 7 days, be sure to have 280 pesos on hand for a departure fee (they will not accept US dollars or Belize dollars and there are no banks nearby). If you begin your travel in San Pedro you do not have to pay the departure fee.
Water Taxi from San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize to Chetumal Mexico
Ride in class and comfort in newly built boats. Your safety is guaranteed in the faster and more reliable boats serving the water taxi industry. You can make reservations ahead of time and secure your marine taxi to and from the Islands of Caye Caulker and San Pedro. San Pedro Express offers daily water taxi service between San Pedro, Caye Caulker and Belize City. See the schedule below for more details.
San Pedro Express also offers a new run from San Pedro, Ambergris Caye to Chetumal, Mexico. The boats run from Friday to Monday (at present there are no runs on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday). They leave San Pedro (from the Ambergris Divers dock) at 8:30 am and leave Chetumal Municipal Pier at 3:00 pm. Note: Be sure to be back to the Municipal Pier well before 3:00 pm.
If you are travelling from Mexico to San Pedro and have been in Mexico for more than 7 days, be sure to have 280 pesos on hand for a departure fee (they will not accept US dollars or Belize dollars and there are no banks nearby). If you begin your travel in San Pedro you do not have to pay the departure fee. The cost of a round trip ticket is $55 US ($110 Bz), One way price is $30US ($60 Bz).