- The islands in Belize are called Cayes (pronounced “keys”) and total around 450 including those on the outer atolls.
- Belizean folklore tells of a 3-foot tall, evil dwarf called El Duende. The thumb less dwarf is said to hang out in the forest and punish any children who kill animals!
- Belize is in the Central Standard Time zone and does not observe daylight saving time.
- Ambergris Caye, which is 25 miles long, is Belize’s largest and most developed island.
- Belize is the only Central American Country where English is the official language. Apart from English, there are many recognized regional languages: Kriol, Spanish, Garifuna, and Mayan.
- The currency of Belize is Belize dollar. Its ISO 3166 code is BZ. Since 1978, the official value is pegged at 2 BZD = 1 US dollar.
- Belize is home to the “Royal Rat” (a rodent called a Gibnut). If you select Gibnut from a menu, you’re about to chow down on a rodent which is a popular game meat in Belize.
- Belize has its own version of the Sasquatch (the legendary, North American gorilla-like creature) known as El Sisimito ? El Sisimito , a creature with no knees and its feet on backwards, purportedly has a penchant for human flesh.
- It is culturally rude to greet someone by their first name when meeting them for the first time in Belize.
Gumbo and Food Festivals
Savor San Pedro Food Fest
Well, what can we say? The Pirates Pizza booth won Best Overall Booth at the 2nd Annual Savor San Pedro Food Festival. We served up a killer Seafood Gumbo (Fish, Shrimp & Lobster), sold a ton of Pizza and thanks to tacogirl our booth was awarded best decorated.
See more photos at tacogirl’s blog
Get your GUMBO on
Pedro’s will be hosting a Mardi Gras Gumbo Cook-Off on Thursday February 12th at 6:00pm.
Chef George Albiez from Chicago, Chef Chris Kohut from Pittsburg (both published in Bon Appetite Magazine) will be competing against our very own Denise Lee. Tickets are Limited, please call or email to RSVP for this event!
Pedro’s Pool is (almost) open
Well, as promised, the new ‘Olympical’ Swimming Pool at Pedro’s Inn is in the ground! The decking for the pool will be built this week, and it should be ready for our first pool party by next week sometime. The Playboy mansion’s got nothing on Pedro’s now.
See more photos on Tacogirl’s Blog