- The islands in Belize are called Cayes (pronounced “keys”) and total around 450 including those on the outer atolls.
- Belizean folklore tells of a 3-foot tall, evil dwarf called El Duende. The thumb less dwarf is said to hang out in the forest and punish any children who kill animals!
- Belize is in the Central Standard Time zone and does not observe daylight saving time.
- Ambergris Caye, which is 25 miles long, is Belize’s largest and most developed island.
- Belize is the only Central American Country where English is the official language. Apart from English, there are many recognized regional languages: Kriol, Spanish, Garifuna, and Mayan.
- The currency of Belize is Belize dollar. Its ISO 3166 code is BZ. Since 1978, the official value is pegged at 2 BZD = 1 US dollar.
- Belize is home to the “Royal Rat” (a rodent called a Gibnut). If you select Gibnut from a menu, you’re about to chow down on a rodent which is a popular game meat in Belize.
- Belize has its own version of the Sasquatch (the legendary, North American gorilla-like creature) known as El Sisimito ? El Sisimito , a creature with no knees and its feet on backwards, purportedly has a penchant for human flesh.
- It is culturally rude to greet someone by their first name when meeting them for the first time in Belize.
Kick back and Relax
Sometimes you just want to kick back and relax by the pool with a good book, watch a late night movie before bed or nurse your hangover by watching a dvd in bed.
At Pedro’s Hotel not only do we provide cheap rooms and priceless adventure, we offer a wide range of amenities: bike rental, pool, kayak and snorkel rental, wifi, AC, Cable TV with 80 plus channels, dvd, on site sports bar /pizzeria, breakfast bar, and fun friendly staff.
Pedro’s Hotel Grand Opening Special
Pedro’s Hotel is pleased to announce our Grand Opening Special!
Book and Stay with us in May 2009 and pay only $28 US per night – that’s a 44% savings off the regular rate! Or, Book during May to stay anytime in 2009 and pay only $35 US per night – that’s a 30% savings off the regular rate.
Some Restrictions apply. Contact Pedro’s Hotel to learn more.