- The islands in Belize are called Cayes (pronounced “keys”) and total around 450 including those on the outer atolls.
- Belizean folklore tells of a 3-foot tall, evil dwarf called El Duende. The thumb less dwarf is said to hang out in the forest and punish any children who kill animals!
- Belize is in the Central Standard Time zone and does not observe daylight saving time.
- Ambergris Caye, which is 25 miles long, is Belize’s largest and most developed island.
- Belize is the only Central American Country where English is the official language. Apart from English, there are many recognized regional languages: Kriol, Spanish, Garifuna, and Mayan.
- The currency of Belize is Belize dollar. Its ISO 3166 code is BZ. Since 1978, the official value is pegged at 2 BZD = 1 US dollar.
- Belize is home to the “Royal Rat” (a rodent called a Gibnut). If you select Gibnut from a menu, you’re about to chow down on a rodent which is a popular game meat in Belize.
- Belize has its own version of the Sasquatch (the legendary, North American gorilla-like creature) known as El Sisimito ? El Sisimito , a creature with no knees and its feet on backwards, purportedly has a penchant for human flesh.
- It is culturally rude to greet someone by their first name when meeting them for the first time in Belize.
Get some tail at Pedro’s Inn Lobsterfest 2011 promotion
March 16th, 2011 – San Pedro, Belize – Just in time for the 2011 San Pedro Lobsterfest Celebration, on the island of Ambergris Caye in Belize, Pedro’s Hotel is pleased to announce it’s ‘Get Some Tail at Pedro’s Inn’ Lobsterfest Special Offer: A 7-night Hotel stay during the week of Lobsterfest 2011 for only $315 US! Be sure to book early, Pedro’s Hotel is always full during Lobsterfest celebrations.
As a founding sponsor of San Pedro Lobsterfest, Pedro’s is pleased to once again be hosting the All You Can Eat Lobster Pizza, Lobster Trivia Night and Texas Hold’em Poker Tournament. While there, try your luck in the 4th annual Lobsterfest Texas Hold’em Poker Tournament or prove how smart you are in the Lobster Trivia Challenge. Be sure to arrive early, Pedro’s thin-crust Lobster Pizza is always wildly popular.
Street stalls and restaurants alike take part in the opening-season party of San Pedro Lobsterfest every year. Sample Caribbean spiny lobster prepared in all manner of guises and quaff fruity cocktails among the summery beats of calypso and reggae. Lobsters plucked from the azure waters surrounding Ambergris Caye are prepared in every way imaginable.
Celebrating it’s 4th year, San Pedro Lobsterfest has become known world-wide, even being named one of the 300 greatest events in the world by Frommer’s and What’s on When. In 2011, San Pedro Lobsterfest starts on June 19th and finishes on June 25th with the grand finale Lobsterfest Block Party, featuring Belizean music star Supa G (who will be a guest at Pedro’s Hotel we might add!)
Unlike most hotels, Pedro’s staff is fluent in English, Spanish, French, Portuguese and Creole, and conversational in German and Italian. Pedro’s Hotel is centrally located in San Pedro with Beach Access, has on-site entertainment at Pedro’s Sports Pub & Pizzeria, and staffs Ambergris Caye’s most popular Adventure Coordinators, guiding guests to Belize’s world-class scuba diving, snorkeling, spear fishing, kayaking, windsurfing, sailing or jungle adventure trips and tours. Pedro’s Hotel, even cheap travelers can experience Belize adventures they will remember for a lifetime.
Space is limited so book early to take advantage of this amazing Lobsterfest Special Offer. Learn more or Book Online at www.PedrosHotel.com, or call (212) 796-4897 from the US or (011) 501-226-3825 for more details.
About Pedro’s Hotel
In Belize, and certainly in the town of San Pedro on Ambergris Caye, Pedro’s Hotel is the best price and value. Designed for the budget-minded traveler, Pedro’s affordable accommodations allow guests to enjoy all the excitement and adventure Belize has to offer. With a 90% approval rating on TripAdvisor.com, Pedro’s Hotel has 32 standard king or twin air-conditioned rooms.
Walter is Famous, You Know…
Our good friends Joey Stevens and Bob the Parrot came by a little while ago to chat with Walter about Pedro’s Hotel. The video is now airing in the US and throughout the Caribbean on WSEE/One Caribbean Weather! It was great having them down – Come back anytime for a dip in the pool and a Jager shot Bob and Joey. Check out the Video below: