- The islands in Belize are called Cayes (pronounced “keys”) and total around 450 including those on the outer atolls.
- Belizean folklore tells of a 3-foot tall, evil dwarf called El Duende. The thumb less dwarf is said to hang out in the forest and punish any children who kill animals!
- Belize is in the Central Standard Time zone and does not observe daylight saving time.
- Ambergris Caye, which is 25 miles long, is Belize’s largest and most developed island.
- Belize is the only Central American Country where English is the official language. Apart from English, there are many recognized regional languages: Kriol, Spanish, Garifuna, and Mayan.
- The currency of Belize is Belize dollar. Its ISO 3166 code is BZ. Since 1978, the official value is pegged at 2 BZD = 1 US dollar.
- Belize is home to the “Royal Rat” (a rodent called a Gibnut). If you select Gibnut from a menu, you’re about to chow down on a rodent which is a popular game meat in Belize.
- Belize has its own version of the Sasquatch (the legendary, North American gorilla-like creature) known as El Sisimito ? El Sisimito , a creature with no knees and its feet on backwards, purportedly has a penchant for human flesh.
- It is culturally rude to greet someone by their first name when meeting them for the first time in Belize.
Around Ambergris Caye
San Pedro Annual Boat Parade
Ambergris Caye is a great place to visit year round and there are many fun activities to enjoy on the island. One of them is the annual San Pedro boat parade held every year at the beginning of December to kick off the holiday season.
You can see different pictures and read more about it on tacogirl.com and ambergris daily.com
These pictures courtesy of PeterJones
Thursday Night ‘Booze Cruise’ at Catamaran Bar
Every Thursday Night at Catamaran Beach Bar (Caribbean Villas Hotel), please join us for a ‘Booze Cruise’ guaranteed not to make you seasick!
Featuring Live Music by the Small World Band from 6 to 10 pm, the finest Chicken Lime Curry in the World, Fire Dancing, Raffles and much more… Win great prizes, including rooms at Pedro’s Hotel and Caribbean Villas.